The small store at Num-Ti-Jah pays homage to Jimmy Simpson, a notable guide and outfitter in the area in the early 1900s. In 1898 he camped at Bow Lake and vowed to one day “build a shack here”. Twenty-five years later he did it! He built the first log cabin on the site, and he called his operation Num-Ti-Jah, which stands for the small animal pine marten. A few years later he opened the Num-Ti-Jah Lodge, back then with six guest rooms. Ten years later he expanded to 16 rooms – and that’s how it still is today. He guided many well known artists, thereby securing a number of their paintings which graced the walls of the lodge before being donated to the Glenbow Museum in Calgary.