Jennifer Annesley, CSPWC, BFA

LAGGAN STATION

LAGGAN STATION
JAN218
watercolour, paper
28 x 14 in.
$4,080 CAD

Your request email has been produced.




In 1890, the CP railway built a log station at Laggan, now known as Lake Louise. It was replaced in about 1909/10 with the existing station to bring tourists into the heart of the Rockies for wilderness adventures. The tall leaded windows at the bar have a direct view to Lake Louise Ski Resort and the rails, and this may have been the station master’s bay window - typical of railway stations of that era. The cobalt blue exterior of a winter’s evening is dramatically contrasted with the warm bar lamp and rich surfaces. Incandescent light plays off of polished wood and bottles, refracting off of the leaded glass creating specularity and bringing life and movement to a kind of still life. The walls seem to echo of the first
mountaineers and who arrived to climb the local peaks, and who no doubt shared stories of the day’s adventure over a dram or two.